Sunday, January 15, 2023

I Have A Dream!

 

I've missed you, Brother Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. For many years I attended celebrations of your life with many faith communities but recently I've become disconnected and so have missed out on this most important part of our annual celebrations of American Life. Today I got back into the swing of the important things in life by attending a celebration of your life and purpose with others who have held you in their hearts as I have. The event was at the First United Methodist Church of Port Huron and a couple hundred like-minded Christian people gathered to remember you. Psalm 133 (which is one of my favorites) was read and the point was made that the Body of Christ is meant to be One and not disjointed. When one hurts, we all should hurt. When one has a celebration in life, we all should celebrate.
  
Psalm 133

A song of ascents. Of David.

How good and pleasant it is
    when God’s people live together in unity!

It is like precious oil poured on the head,
    running down on the beard,
running down on Aaron’s beard,
    down on the collar of his robe.
It is as if the dew of Hermon
    were falling on Mount Zion.
For there the Lord bestows his blessing,
    even life forevermore.
 
Jesus prayed that we would be one "even as He and the Father are One". I don't remember how many denominations Andrew Seppo said were present there this afternoon but there were a lot! A demonstration that we may be divided on specifics within our practice of religion but in the basics we are in agreement that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior of the world and that He honors our gathering together for events like these.  I was truly blessed to be part of this celebration and am making a commitment to myself to participate more fully in the activities of Operation Transformation among the churches of St. Clair and Sanilac Counties. I'm going to try to drag myself to the weekly early morning prayer meetings and share the love of Jesus Christ with all that the Holy Spirit prompts me to.

No comments: