Monday, September 14, 2009

IT'S OUR JOB!

Storm clouds always seem to be on the horizon in our country lately. We are so polarized in our beliefs that I wonder if we won't just come apart at the seams soon. Both sides (liberal & conservative) are convinced that they are so right that the opposition just has to be evil. Let's face it, friends, both sides - for the most part - love their country but look at it through different lenses. Many years ago a guy by the name of Rodney King pleaded, "Can't we all just get along?" It seems to me that that question is even more pertinent now than it was in 1991 when Mr. King uttered them. It is our job as Christians to not only pray for our country and its leaders but to seek to live at peace with our neighbor. This is indeed a difficult task due to the high emotions that exist on both sides and their unwavering convictions. I won't tell you which side of the fence that I stand on but all who know me and those who can read between the lines of my posts certainly know. I won't tell you in this forum because there is no opportunity for discussion and I don't want to try to shove anything down anyone's throats. I will tell you this though; I love my country and I love my God and try to live up to His commands and I challenge everyone who reads my blog to try to do likewise. My message yesterday centered around the parable that Jesus told about three men who were charged by their master to take care of his possessions while he went traveling. When he returned, two of the three men had invested his master's possessions and multiplied them. The third man took what he had been responsible for and buried it in the ground for safe keeping. The master was furious with him because he had done nothing but squander what the master gave him so he lost the little that he had. (You can read about this in Matthew 25:14-30 for yourself.) Sometimes it seems to me that many Americans are like the man who didn't improve upon what his master gave him as we simply make use of the privileges of our birth as Americans without seeking ways to improve the plight of others who have less than we do. How will God judge us when we leave this earth if we don't leave it better than we received it? These words ring in my ears each day that I moan about the circumstances that we are currently facing; "... if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."(2 Chronicles 7:14) I believe that God's people are those who profess Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and so it is up to us to become humble servants and to pray and seek God's face for the benefit out this great United States of America. Let us pray...

No comments: